Monday, February 9, 2009

6 Weeks

Today Holden had his 6 week Dr. appointment (even though he will be 7 weeks on Wednesday). He is in the 97th percentile for both height and weight, weighing in at 13lbs 8oz and measuring 24 inches long. The Dr. said he is definitely getting enough food because most babies gain about 2 pounds in a month and he gained 4. It was an important appointment for me because I want to get to the bottom of his fussiness. The little guy hardly gets much sleep because he wakes himself up in what seems to be pain. He gags and coughs on his spit up an hour or more after eating, arches his back during feedings and burping among other things. I took in a list of his symptoms and it seems he might either have acid reflux or is lactose intolerant. I now have to cut out dairy for at least three days on top of the caffeine, chocolate, soy, nuts, strawberries, beans and brocolli that I have already eliminated from my diet! What's left to eat? I also have to give him Mylicon and now adult Mylanta at every feeding and then keep him slightly upright for at least a half hour after eating. If he is doing better in three days then I can add the dairy back. If he's not better then he might have to take Zantac for his heartburn. I just don't want our little man to be hurting anymore and I can't wait to get to the bottom of it so that he will hopefully feel better soon - and maybe sleep more so mommy can sleep more!






No comments: